About the Experience
EIRs are immersed into the ecosystem by overseeing our core programmatic competencies and supporting the organization to facilitate strategic growth. We are looking for forward-thinking minds to help us cultivate an internal “intrapreneurship” mentality to help execute our programs and events, develop new key strategies, streamline operations, and solve internal problems to ensure we keep driving toward unparalleled ecosystem impact.
The Startup San Diego Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) program is one of the most selective and prestigious programs for entrepreneurs looking to build community, grow an organization, and get connected to the most influential members of the San Diego startup ecosystem. Startup SD EIRs are organized within 3 teams: Community, Marketing & Programs. The remainder of 2021 programming will be virtual with the goal of hybrid experiences starting 2022.
Only six entrepreneurs are chosen each year and given the mission of significantly improving and growing the San Diego innovation ecosystem. Work with the best, learn from the best, build with the best!
Who Should Apply?
Our Executive Director, Alexa-Rae Navarro, came to the organization in December of 2019 just in time for the pandemic wave. For the last eight years she has worked at the intersection of the tech, corporate, education, non-profit, and public sectors focused on building and scaling entrepreneurship programming and community.
We are looking for entrepreneurs to complement her many superpowers to help us continue to pivot and respond to all the world’s challenges while taking Startup San Diego to new heights.
The ideal candidate:
- Has 10 hours of volunteer support bandwidth per week (This definitely ebbs and flows based on our programs and events, but the expectation is that folks are available for this timeframe on a weekly basis)
- One year of experience as a founder or one of the first five employees at a company
- Embraces diversity
- Has a passion for inclusive community and bringing people together
- Plans to start a startup (or currently starting one)
- Is a generalist with specializations such as marketing, sales, community building, operations, product, etc
- Tech savvy (ideally knows how to operate our tools ie. Slack, Hubspot, Mailchimp, Canva, Google Suite, etc.)
- Has a “Roll-up your sleeves-no task too big or too small” attitude; Each EIR team is supported by an intern to help execute administrative tasks, however, EIRs will need to be comfortable with being a “doer” and executing projects/tasks
- Loves experimentation and isn’t afraid to throw away hours of work if there’s a better way to do something and definitely not afraid to fail
- Collaborative team player and low ego
- Comfortable speaking in front of crowds and representing our mission + values to the community
Applications for the Startup San Diego EIR program are now Closed!